Artem Silchenko extended his lead over Gary Hunt as the 2013 World Series final moved to Viking Caves on Phi Phi Leh for the fifth of eight rounds of cliff diving competition on Thursday.
The divers completed a required dive directly off the cliff with a fixed Degree of Difficulty of 3.8 from a height of 25 metres. The final concludes on Saturday with two head-to-head rounds and then the final.
For the challenger, Artem Silchenko, who exhbited almost flawless technique on a single reverse somersault, it's one dive at a time, but the Russian is edging closer to his first World Series title; with three rounds to go, he holds a 32.65-point lead over Gary Hunt. A win or a second place ahead of his rival will guarantee the 29-year-old the title.
The champion, Gary Hunt, knows he must dive almost perfectly in the final three rounds if he's to overhaul Silchenko and claim a fourth World Series title.
From the Phi Phi Islands, the divers relocate to Hong Island for the final rounds taking place on Saturday, October 26, from 10.30am (local time) - and three 28-metre, three-second dives from each athlete will crown a World Series champion for 2013!
Scores after Round 5
1. Artem Silchenko | RUS | 579.20pts v 14. Mat Cowen | UK | 434.70
2. Orlando Duque | COL | 559.00 v 13. Alain Kohl (wildcard) | LUX | 442.20
3. Gary Hunt | UK | 546.55 v 12. Blake Aldridge | UK | 458.00
4. Andy Jones (wildcard) | USA | 534.30 v 11. David Colturi | USA | 459.20
5. Steven LoBue | USA | 525.95 v 10. Kent De Mond (wildcard) | USA | 473.10
6. Michal Navratil | CZE | 519.10 v 9. Cyrille Oumedjkane (wildcard) | FRA | 477.60
7. Jonathan Paredes | MEX | 505.25 v 8. Anatoliy Shabotenko | UKR | 494.90