Have you ever thought about what actually goes into a cliff dive? The majestic journey from platform to water may be over in the blink of an eye, but the science behind each one is something to behold in itself. Height, speed and g-force, as well as aerial awareness, timing and physical strength all play a huge role in creating the most perfect, aesthetic and, of course, safe dives.
Here are a few of the fast facts when it comes to the science of cliff diving:
- Take-off jump - Up to 0.8m
- Rotation speed - 2.4 per second
- Vertical velocity - 22.5m per second
- Time in the air - 2.6 seconds
- Water entry - Up to 85km/h
- Impact deceleration - 10 G
Watch the clip to find out more and discover what the divers put themselves through every time they leap from up to 27m.